Stephen R. Boatwright
- Securities - Private Equity, Private Placements and State Blue Sky Law Compliance, Public Offerings, Securities Compliance and Reporting Obligations
- Business Law & Transactions - Business Entity Formation and Dissolution, Commercial Finance, Contracts and Commercial Agreements, Corporate Governance, Emerging Companies and Startups, Joint Ventures and Strategic Alliances, Mergers and Acquisitions
- Cannabis & Hemp Law
For more than three decades, Steve has represented companies raising both private and public financing, and buyers and sellers of businesses of all kinds. Whether seeking initial funding, expanding the business through follow on funding or an acquisition, or pursuing an exit strategy through an asset/stock sale or public offering, Steve offers each client the veteran experience, practical judgement and seasoned know-how to realize even the most lofty goals in all phases of financing and growth.
Steve believes it is important to retain skilled counsel when it comes to making critical decisions throughout the life cycle of every business. He knows, from extensive and first-hand experience, that an entrepreneur who creates a start-up requires well-drafted organizational documents, including comprehensive shareholder or operating/partnership agreements. He understands, from many years of representing a broad array of companies, that the management team requires the correct contracts/licenses and agreements to make acquisitions, raise capital and comply with securities laws. Steve has proven time and again that he can deliver the right advice to business owners and shareholders seeking to acquire other companies, sell out or go public.
Ranked among the best transactional attorneys over the course of his career by a variety of organizations, Steve has negotiated and documented over several billion in financing and mergers and acquisitions. He has prepared registration statements (both IPO and secondary) and securities regulatory compliance documents for more than 20 different public companies on the NYSE American (formerly AMEX), NASDAQ and the OTCBB. Throughout his long and successful tenure in Securities law, Steve has developed unique expertise in “shell” reverse merger transactions. Additionally, he has prepared numerous private placement memoranda for technology, biotechnology, bio-agriculture, software, life science, medical device, manufacturing, internet, social media, hospitality and real estate companies.
In addition to his work with operating companies, Steve also represents angel investors. Notably, he has been engaged by investment banking, private equity, venture capital and venture leasing funds, as well as advised and documented fund structures and acquisitions of substantial positions in emerging growth companies.
Associations & Memberships
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America®, Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), 2022
- Up and Comers, Arizona Business Magazine, 2004
- Best Securities Attorney in Arizona, Phoenix Business Journal, 2003
- President-elect Trump Making Capital Great Again?, AZBigMedia.com, January 16, 2017
- Reversing the Expansive Trend of Extraterritorial Subject Matter Jurisdiction Over Bad Conduct Under Rule 10b-5 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, Tex. Int’l L.J., Vol. 23:3, 487 (1988).
- A Nuts and Bolts Approach to Assist General Counsel in Completing the Proxy Statement in Light of the Amended Executive Compensation Rules, N.M. Bus. Lawyer, Vol. 1, No. 2 (1995).
- Issues For Foreign Persons to consider when Acquiring United States Closely-Held Businesses, Lawyering in the International market (1999).
- Financing Businesses Internationally, The Guide to Doing Business Internationally (2000).