Published Articles Archive
Bankruptcy & Creditors’ Rights
Business Law & Transactions
- 3/1/2019Arizona's New Limited Liability Company Act: Fiduciary Duties and Indemnification
- 3/1/2019Arizona's New Limited Liability Company Act: An Overview
- 1/18/2017Arizona Takes Steps Toward Embracing Sharing Economy
- 11/1/2016Negotiation Points of a Commercial Loan
- 9/1/2016Pros and Cons of Holding Rental Properties Through LLC
- 8/1/2016Cell Towers on Private Property
- 7/1/2016Hackers and Pirates: Insuring for Cyber Risk
- 3/1/2016Picking the Right President and the Right Attorney
- 3/1/2016Reflecting on a New "AERA" in Arizona Business Law
- 1/1/2016Being Sued for a Bad Review?
- 9/1/2015Anti-puppy Mill Law Upheld
- 8/4/2015FDA to Begin Enforcement of Menu and Menu Board Labeling Rules
- 8/1/2015Who is Responsible for Traveling Students?
- 5/1/2015You've Been Served: Divorcing via Facebook
- 1/1/2015Body Cameras: Not a Cure, but a Step in Right Direction
- 12/1/2014The Contractual Provisions and What They Mean for You
- 9/1/2014Arizona Proof-of-Citizenship Voting Requirement Clarified
- 7/1/2014President Obama Expands Student Loan Repayment
- 6/4/2014Manure Use in Organic Agriculture – Does FDA or USDA Know Best?
- 5/1/2014What you Need to Know When Seeking Financing Options
- 5/1/2014S Corporations Revisited? Choice of Entity in Light of the 2013 Medicare Surtaxes
- 3/1/2014Starting a Business: Tips for Applying for a Loan
- 1/7/2014Starting a Business: One Size Doesn't Fit All
- 11/1/2013New Settlement may Mean Credit Card Surcharges
- 9/1/2013Recent Agency Bulletins Expand Consumer's Rights Against Debt Harassment
- 5/1/2013Adventures in Contract Negotiations: Common Pitfalls to Avoid
- 4/4/2012Legal Review Concerning the Use of Health Impact Assessments in Non-Health Sectors
- 4/1/2016Teetotaling Grandma Got a DUI
Employment & Labor Law
- 10/1/2019Context Matters When Firing for Insubordination
- 9/1/2019Questionable Reaction to Expressing Breast Milk Can't Pump up Claim
- 8/1/2019Ensuring Proper Handling of Wage Garnishments
- 7/1/2019Court Drops Bombshell: FFD Exam is OK for Hazardous Devices Tech
- 6/27/2019You've Been Served With a Writ of Garnishment - What Now?
- 5/1/2019Postshift Security Screenings Compensable Under Arizona Law, But Not Federal Law
- 4/1/2019Creating a Bereavement Leave Policy for Your Company
- 3/1/2019Employer Liable for Firing Cardholder Over Positive Drug Test
- 2/1/2019Why You Should Establish a Bereavement Leave Policy
- 1/1/2019Owners, Managers Face Personal Risk on FLSA Claims
- 12/1/2018Performance Evaluations: Critical Tool or Potential Liability?
- 11/1/2018Large Volume of Payroll Transactions no Excuse for Overtime Violation
- 10/1/2018Does Asking About Prior Salary Create Potential Liability?
- 9/1/2018Questionable Accommodations Allow Nursing Mothers Claim to Advance
- 8/1/2018Misrepresenting Pet as Service Animal Now Illegal in Arizona
- 7/1/2018Offhand Ageist Comments can Negate Evidence of Legitimate Policy Violation
- 6/1/2018Employer Probably Should Care About Employee's Religion
- 5/1/2018Preparing to Avoid Employment Agreement Blunders, Part 2
- 4/1/2018Preparing to Avoid Employment Agreement Blunders, Part 1
- 3/1/2018Clash Over Exempt Status Advances Warehouse Manager's Overtime Claim
- 2/13/2018Not all Mandatory Employee Arbitration Clauses Benefit Employers
- 2/1/2018Are You Prepared to Avoid Netflix-like Corporate Social Media Snafus?
- 1/1/2018Jury Must Decide Arizona Worker's Misclassification Claim
- 12/1/2017Septuagenarian's Claim Dismissed: Discharge Was For Inadequate Work Performance
- 11/1/2017Liability For Employer Who Can't 'Have a Big Fat Pregnant Woman Working' at His Restaurant
- 10/1/2017Job Descriptions: Worth Doing or a Tedious Waste of Time?
- 9/1/2017Gender-based Claims Advance After Employer Offers 'No Apologies'
- 8/1/2017Minimum Wage Touched by Tip Pooling
- 8/1/2017Does a Brief, Temporary Condition Constitute a Disability?
- 7/1/2017Do You Comply With Youth Employment Laws?
- 6/29/2017Arizona Heat Wave Could be Hazardous to Employees’ Health
- 6/1/2017When and How Long can Minors Work?
- 4/14/2017Has Your Tip Pool Encountered Cross Contamination?
- 4/4/2017Could Tip Pooling Put Local Restaurants Out of Business?
- 4/1/2017Supervisor Comment, Close Timing Keep Claim Alive
- 2/1/2017Are You Making Improper Deductions From Employees' Paychecks?
- 1/1/2017Claims Go Up in Smoke Because of Positive Drug Test
- 12/1/2016Resolve to Make 2017 Better Than Years Past
- 12/1/2016Scrooge Here, on How to Avoid the Holiday Party Hangover
- 11/21/2016How to Avoid a Holiday Party Fiasco
- 11/1/2016Transgender Officer's Claim Advances After He Alleges Severe, Pervasive Mistreatment
- 10/1/2016Arizona Parking Lot Cases: Legal Shakedown or Legitimate Advocacy
- 9/1/2016Tucson Paving Company Violated NLRA by Firing and Immediately Rehiring Employee
- 8/1/2016When Should you Seek an Injunction Against Workplace Harassment?
- 7/1/2016Managers' Comments About Judaism not Enough to Create Hostile Work Environment
- 6/1/2016Confronting Substance Abuse in the Workplace
- 5/1/2016After Having Twins, Employee Sees Double Recovery From Employer
- 4/1/2016How Will You Answer if the DOL Comes Knocking?
- 3/1/2016After Having her Phil, Ex-Worker Sues for False Imprisonment, Constructive Discharge
- 3/1/2016Stock Options and the Deferred Compensation Rules
- 2/1/2016Current I-9 Form Set to Expire March 31
- 1/1/2016Misclassifying Employees as Independent Contractors Could Prove Costly for City
- 12/1/2015Navigating Unemployment Appeals
- 11/1/2015Workers who Don't Customarily Receive Tips Can't Swim in the Pool with Tipped Employees
- 10/1/2015Responding to Unemployment Claims
- 9/1/2015Surge in Midday Work Errands Expected After Employee Denied Coverage
- 8/1/2015Worker Classification Proves Difficult, Potentially Costly
- 7/1/2015Firefighters Were Employees, not Volunteers
- 6/1/2015Wage War Fought by Tipped Employee with Extraneous Job Duties
- 5/1/20159th Circuit Reinstates full Punitive Damages Award Against Arizona Employer
- 4/1/2015Arizona Employee's Claims for Alleged Religious Hostility Advance
- 3/1/2015Part 2: Break Time for Nursing Mothers: Private Spaces and Lactation Policies
- 2/18/2015Arizona Employer may Bring Theft of Confidential Information Claims
- 2/1/2015Part 1: Break Time for Nursing Mothers: What does the law Require?
- 2/1/2015NLRB: Work E-mail not Just for Business Purposes Anymore
- 1/1/2015AZ Supreme Court: Employer May Bring Some Claims for Theft of Confidential Information
- 12/3/2014Accommodating Service Animals in the Workplace
- 12/1/2014Alleged Comment Begs Question: Good Faith Interactive Process?
- 11/1/2014ADA, GINA Claims Advance Based on Temporal Proximity, Inconsistency
- 10/1/2014NLRB: Employer Owes Tax Consequences of Back Pay
- 10/1/2014Accommodating Service Animals in the Workplace
- 9/1/2014Service Animals: Public Accommodation and Proper Treatment, Part 2
- 8/1/2014Service Animals: Accommodating Service Animals in the Workplace, Part 1
- 7/1/2014Arizona Statutes Grant Employees Victim Leave Rights
- 6/1/2014Overtime Class Action Against AutoZone Resurrected
- 5/1/2014Employee can Decline Leave Even if Reason for Leave is Protected
- 4/1/2014Would Your Severance Agreement Withstand EEOC Scrutiny?
- 3/5/2014Noncompete Agreements: Court Provides Prescription for Enforceable Restraints
- 3/1/2014Costco's Deduction From Final Paychecks Narrowly Escapes FLSA Requirements
- 2/1/2014Don't Let Unclaimed Assets Cost Your Company
- 1/1/2014Retaliation, Not Severe Morning Sickness, Gives Worker Claim
- 12/1/2013Court of Appeals Curtails Ability to Protect Confidential Info
- 11/1/2013The EEOC Does Not Discriminate (or so it Says)
- 10/1/2013Octopus Car Wash Breaking (Wage and Hour Laws) Bad
- 9/1/2013Be Wary of Demanding Access to Employees' Social Media Accounts
- 9/1/2013NLRB Chastised for 'Interpretive Leap'
- 7/1/2013Tips Belong to Employees
- 6/1/2013Court's Decision May Render Trade Secret Protection Elusive
Government Affairs & Lobbying
- 12/29/2015Legal Innovations to Advance a Culture of Health
- 6/3/2015Efficacy in Emergency Legal Preparedness Underlying the 2014 Ebola Outbreak
- 3/18/2015Childcare and Pre-K Benefits: For Your Health
- 2/22/2013New Frontiers in Obesity Control: Innovative Public Health Legal Interventions
- 10/1/2010The Consumable Vice: Caffeine, Public Health and the Law
- 2/1/2016Arizona Civil Subpoenas 101
- 11/1/2015How to Collect Unpaid Money
- 10/1/2015Lowering the Cost of Litigation
- 11/1/2014Legal Controversies Raised by New Rideshare Trends
- 7/1/2013Revisiting McDonald's Coffee Case
- 3/1/2013Medicare Reporting in Liability and No-Fault Cases
- 3/1/2013Demonstrative Evidence
- 2/10/2012Lawyers Contribute to Public Good, Reap Rewards With Pro Bono Work
- 3/1/2011Expert Discovery
- 10/1/2010Construction Law: Personal Liability Without Personal Gain
- 12/1/2005Construction Defects and the Implied Warranty of Fitness and Habitability
Plaintiff’s Personal Injury & Wrongful Death
Public Bidding & Procurement
- 12/3/2013Procurement Law at a Glance: Emergency Construction Contracting
- 11/1/2013Exploring Public Procurement in Arizona
- 9/24/2013Procurement Law at a Glance: Challenging a Public Contract Award
- 8/16/2013Procurement Law at a Glance: Defending Your Contract Award from a Losing Bidder’s Challenge
- 7/26/2013Procurement Law at a Glance: Guidelines for Avoiding Common Procurement Pitfalls
- 7/10/2013Procurement Law at a Glance: Arizona Legislature Updates Procurement Code
- 2/6/2018Here are the Challenges in Repurposing Commercial Projects
- 7/1/2017Challenges in Repurposing Commercial Projects
- 7/1/2015Three Reasons Title Reports are a Must Read for Real Estate Buyers
- 9/4/2014When Loss of Access to a Public Street Is Compensable: An Arizona Case Study
- 9/1/2014The Most Common Mixed-Use Issues
- 6/1/2014AZ Supreme Court Clarifies Damages for Loss of Access
- 3/1/2014Considering Outdoor Dining? Consider This First.
- 2/4/2014Condemnation Comp not Just for Landowners
- 2/4/2014Need 2 Know: Dealing with Condemnation Issues in the Recovering Economy
- 12/11/2013Court Clarifies Insurance
- 8/1/2013U.S. Supreme Court Sides With Owners of Property
- 3/1/2010Appraisal Malpractice - Who Can Sue and What Other Limits Apply
- 4/1/2013Sports Scores Big for Business
- 7/15/2013Five Things Every Plaintiff's Attorney Should Know About the Taxation of Damage Awards
- 3/1/2013Taxation of Damage Award and Settlements
- 8/1/2011Short Sales and Foreclosures: Income Tax Traps for the Unwary
- 7/15/2010It Saves to be Green - Tax Incentives for Green Construction Projects
- 10/1/2009Small Business Breaks: Recovery Act Provides New Tax Benefits for Small Businesses
- 6/1/2009Confidentiality Provisions in Settlement Agreements: A Tax Trap for the Unwary?
- 10/1/2008Can We Have a Do-Over? Rescinding Transactions for Federal Tax Purposes
- 9/1/2007Tax Planning Opportunities for Creators of Medical Technology