Woodrow C. Thompson
- Criminal Law - Commercial and White Collar Offenses, Driving Under the Influence (DUI), Felony Offenses and Crimes Against Persons, Internal Investigations, Misdemeanor Offenses in Municipal and Justice Courts, Regulatory Enforcement, RICO and State Racketeering Offenses, Vehicular and Traffic Offenses, Victims’ Rights Advocacy
Woody is a criminal defense attorney who represents his clients on all types on felony and misdemeanor offenses and government investigations. For the past 13 years, he has concentrated his practice in criminal law, representing clients on a wide range of criminal offenses from misdemeanor DUI to homicide and federal investigations. Earlier in his career, Woody joined a large Arizona law firm where he worked in complex commercial litigation, products liability, and intellectual property law. While this work was challenging and satisfying, he elected to move into criminal law where he could use his scientific knowledge and trial skills in a unique and synergistic way to advocate for accused individuals in his community.
As a trial attorney, Woody has successfully handled thousands of criminal cases from DUIs and Vehicular Crimes to Aggravated Assaults and Homicide. He is an experienced and highly skilled trial attorney who is dedicated to providing the finest defense to anyone accused of a DUI or criminal offense. The combination of his years of experience and his Math and Science education enables him to effectively analyze and evaluate the many scientific details of DUI and forensic data in criminal cases. He routinely uses his vast experience in accident reconstruction and his courtroom experience in the cross examination of trial experts to the benefit of his clients. Additionally, Woody has a wealth of oral advocacy experience both in and out of the Courtroom, having presented to Senators in Washington D.C. and opposed prosecutors across the State of Arizona behind closed doors and in open Court. He is known as an effective and persuasive advocate for his clients and abides by a personal credo of “A win at trial is great, but getting a case dismissed before it gets to trial is even better.”
Woody completed his B.B.A. in Mathematics in 1998 and his J.D. in 2001 from Arizona State University. While at Arizona State University, he served as Student Lobbyist providing a student voice in Washington D.C., the Arizona State Legislature, and the Arizona Board of Regents. He is a member of the National College for DUI Defense and was awarded “Best of Our Valley” in 2013 for criminal defense attorney from Arizona Foothills magazine.
Associations & Memberships
- Federal Bar Association, Phoenix Chapter, Member, 2019
- National College for DUI Defense , Member
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Criminal Defense: General Practice, 2017-2020; Criminal Defense: White-Collar, 2020; DUI/DWI Defense, 2019-2020
- Arizona Foothills Magazine, Best of Our Valley, Criminal Defense Attorney , 2013
- Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes 33 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys as Leaders in Their Field, August 15, 2019
- Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes 35 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys as Leaders in Their Field, August 15, 2018
- 35 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys Recognized as 2018 ‘Best Lawyers in America®’, August 16, 2017
- 33 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys Named 2017 ‘Best Lawyers in America®’, August 17, 2016
- Two New Shareholders Added to the Criminal Law Group, June 19, 2015