Woodrow C. Thompson
- Criminal Law - Commercial and White Collar Offenses, Driving Under the Influence (DUI), Felony Offenses and Crimes Against Persons, Internal Investigations, Misdemeanor Offenses in Municipal and Justice Courts, Regulatory Enforcement, RICO and State Racketeering Offenses, Vehicular and Traffic Offenses, Victims’ Rights Advocacy
- Litigation - Appellate
- Public Utilities
Woody is a criminal defense attorney who advises a myriad of clients on all types of felony and misdemeanor offenses and government investigations. For nearly two decades, he has concentrated his practice in criminal law, representing individuals faced with a wide range of criminal offenses ranging from misdemeanor DUI to Homicide, Sex offenses, and Federal Investigations.
Earlier in his career, Woody worked in complex commercial litigation, products liability, and intellectual property law. While this work was challenging and satisfying, he elected to move into criminal law, where he could use his scientific knowledge and trial skills in a unique and synergistic way to advocate for accused individuals in his community.
As a trial advocate, Woody has successfully handled and resolved thousands of criminal cases, such as DUIs and Vehicular Crimes, Sex offenses, Aggravated Assaults, and Homicide. As a highly skilled trial attorney who is dedicated to providing the finest defense to anyone accused of a DUI or criminal offense, the combination of Woody’s years of experience and his Math and Science education enables him to effectively analyze and evaluate the many scientific details of DUI and forensic data in criminal cases.
Woody routinely draws upon his vast experience in accident reconstruction and his courtroom know-how when it comes to the cross-examination of trial experts for the benefit of his clients. Additionally, Woody offers a wealth of written and oral advocacy talent both in and out of the courtroom, having presented to Senators in Washington D.C. and opposed prosecutors across the State of Arizona behind closed doors and in open court. Known as an effective and persuasive voice for his clients, Woody abides by the personal credo of “A win at trial is great, but getting a case dismissed before it gets to trial is even better.”
Woody completed his B.B.A. in Mathematics in 1998 and his J.D. in 2001 from Arizona State University. While at Arizona State University, he served as Student Lobbyist providing a student voice in Washington D.C., the Arizona State Legislature, and the Arizona Board of Regents. He is a member of the National College for DUI Defense and was awarded “Best of Our Valley” in 2013 for criminal defense attorney from Arizona Foothills Magazine. Woody has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America in three separate disciplines – Criminal Defense, White Collar, and DUI Defense – over the last 4 years.
Associations & Memberships
- Federal Bar Association, Phoenix Chapter, Member, 2019
- National College for DUI Defense, Inc., Member
- Maricopa County Bar Association, Member
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America®, Criminal Defense: General Practice, 2017-2023; Criminal Defense: White-Collar, 2020-2023; DUI/DWI Defense, 2019-2023
- Phoenix Magazine, Top Lawyer, 2022
- Arizona Foothills Magazine, Best of Our Valley, Criminal Defense Attorney , 2013
Community & Philanthropy
- The Ronin Foundation, President & Co-Founder
- Best Lawyers in America® 2023 Recognizes 41 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys, August 18, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America® 2022 Recognizes 37 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys, August 19, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes 36 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys, August 21, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes 33 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys as Leaders in Their Field, August 15, 2019
- Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes 35 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys as Leaders in Their Field, August 15, 2018
- 35 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys Recognized as 2018 ‘Best Lawyers in America®’, August 16, 2017
- 33 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys Named 2017 ‘Best Lawyers in America®’, August 17, 2016
- Two New Shareholders Added to the Criminal Law Group, June 19, 2015