Michael R. Ross
- Litigation - Civil Defense Litigation, Real Estate Litigation
- Professional Liability - Professional Licensing and Credentialing
- Real Estate - Real Estate Litigation
- Estates & Trusts - Probate
- Employment & Labor Law - General Employment Matters, Restrictive Covenants, Wrongful Discharge
- Insurance - Coverage Analysis and Litigation for Insurance Companies, Insurance Disputes, Insurance for Individuals and Businesses
- Franchising & Distribution
A formidable trial lawyer with over 25 years of experience, Mike has represented individuals and companies of all sizes with integrity, common sense, and consistent success. He has pursued and defended a broad spectrum of disputes, from small to complex, multi-million dollar claims, in both federal and state courts and private arbitrations, earning the trust and loyalty of his clients and the respect of his peers. Mike serves as General Counsel and Loss Prevention Partner for Gallagher & Kennedy, and he is also a Member of the firm’s Board of Directors.
Of particular note, Mike served as lead counsel in a fraud trial arising out of a real estate development loan. Mike’s client, Diversified Funding Group, was awarded a $23.9 Million verdict based on the borrower’s fraud – a judgment that cannot ever be discharged in bankruptcy. In addition, Mike pursued claims for breach of fiduciary duty against a trustee that was mishandling a family trust. Based on Mike’s efforts, the trustee was removed, the remaining trust funds were preserved, his client’s share was returned, and Mike’s fees were ordered to be paid by the bad actor.
Mike successfully defended a business and its owner against multi-million-dollar claims involving the interplay between partnership and corporate law. He also won a defense verdict after a jury trial, then protected that verdict before the Arizona Court of Appeals and the Arizona Supreme Court. Moreover, Mike regularly represents limited liability company members, partners, and shareholders, in ownership disputes and business divorces.
Over the course of his multi-decade career, Mike has earned an AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, and has been listed among The Best Lawyers in America, Southwest Super Lawyers, and ALM Media Legal Leaders’ Arizona’s Top Rated Lawyers. Before joining Gallagher & Kennedy in 2005, Mike practiced law in Arizona and Texas. Immediately following law school, he clerked for Senior United States District Judge Justin L. Quackenbush.
Fully committed to making a difference within his community, Mike sits on the Executive Council of the Arizona Diamondbacks Foundation and the Volunteer Lawyers Program board. He is a former board member of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Phoenix, actively represents pro bono clients, and coaches his sons’ sports teams in his spare time.
Associations & Memberships
- Maricopa County Bar Association, Volunteer Lawyers Program, Advisory Board
- Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Pro Tempore, July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2014
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation - Labor and Employment, 2019-2022; Litigation - Trusts and Estates, 2022
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, Business Litigation, 2016-2019, 2021
- ALM Media Legal Leaders, Arizona’s Top Rated Lawyers, 2018
Community & Philanthropy
- Arizona Diamondbacks Foundation, Executive Council Member
- Ronald McDonald House Charities of Phoenix, Board of Directors
- Madison Traditional Academy Dad’s Club, Member
- Best Lawyers in America® 2022 Recognizes 37 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys, August 19, 2021
- Gallagher & Kennedy Announces New Member of the Board of Directors, March 11, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes 36 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys, August 21, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes 33 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys as Leaders in Their Field, August 15, 2019
- Sixteen Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys Selected for Southwest Super Lawyers 2019, April 15, 2019
- Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes 35 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys as Leaders in Their Field, August 15, 2018
- Twenty-Two Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys Selected for Southwest Super Lawyers 2018, April 24, 2018
- 24 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys Named 2017 Southwest Super Lawyers, April 10, 2017
- Twenty-Six G&K Attorneys Selected to 2016 Southwest Super Lawyers’ List, April 11, 2016
- Michael R. Ross Joins Board of Directors for Ronald McDonald House Charities, September 5, 2013
- Michael Ross, Joins Arizona Diamondbacks Foundation Executive Council, March 21, 2013
- Michael Ross is the Firm’s Newest Member of the G&K Board of Directors, March 12, 2021
- Trial by Hire? Pandemic Steers More Business Disputes Away From Jury Trials in Favor of Mediation and Arbitration, September 17, 2020
- Here’s Why Pandemic is Increasing Mediation and Arbitration Cases, September 15, 2020
- Investment Firm Wins $24M Judgment Against Danny’s Family Car Wash Owner, August 15, 2014