Matthew H. Engle
- Business Law & Transactions - Business Entity Formation and Dissolution, Commercial Finance, Contracts and Commercial Agreements, Corporate Governance, Emerging Companies and Startups, Joint Ventures and Strategic Alliances, Mergers and Acquisitions, Tax-Exempt and Nonprofit Organizations
- Securities - Private Equity, Private Placements and State Blue Sky Law Compliance, Public Offerings, Securities Compliance and Reporting Obligations
Matt Engle brings a pragmatic, client-focused approach to counseling individuals and businesses on a broad array of business matters. Whether a solo entrepreneur looking to start a new business or a large, well-established corporation looking to raise capital, Matt helps his clients solve problems and realize business opportunities at all stages of a business’ evolution.
Business Formation and Governance. Matt helps clients with business creation, entity selection, formation documents, bylaws, operating agreements, buy-sell agreements, and board and management policies. Once a company is operating – whether for-profit or non-profit – Matt advises clients on maintaining board or shareholder meeting minutes, consents, and annual reports, internal policies, regulatory compliance, and other governance matters.
Contracts and Commercial Transactions. Matt assists clients with day-to-day contracting needs by negotiating and drafting all manner of agreements. Whether it’s a sale of equipment, a supply agreement, a collateralized loan, a licensing agreement, a consulting or service agreement, a nondisclosure or non-competition agreement, or another type of transaction, he brings a detailed yet pragmatic approach to helping clients achieve their business objectives.
Mergers and Acquisitions. Matt represents buyers and sellers in a wide range of industries in stock and asset sales, mergers, joint ventures, and strategic partnerships.
Securities Law. Matt assists entrepreneurs and businesses raise capital with private offerings of securities.
Matt has served on the Executive Council of the State Bar of Arizona’s Business Section, and was a member of the State Bar’s Legislative Subcommittee that drafted Arizona’s revised Limited Liability Company Act, which was signed into law in 2018. Matt is also co-author of the well-respected treatise Arizona Limited Liability Company: Forms and Practice Manual (Data Trace Publishing).
Matt is an active supporter of the Phoenix arts community. He is a founding board member and past-president of the Phoenix Symphony Young Professionals, and a former board member of the Friends of European Art, which benefits the Phoenix Art Museum. In 2014, Matt was appointed by Mayor Greg Stanton to the Phoenix Arts and Culture Commission, where he sat on the Advocacy and Marketing Committee. He is passionate about expanding the reach of the arts, especially among up-and-coming leaders, and hopes to do his part to help Phoenix continue to grow into a world-class cultural destination.
Growing up in Los Angeles, Matt has a background in the technology and entertainment industries. Prior to his legal career, he spent 10 years in the computer software industry producing and designing several bestselling and award-winning computer games for software publishers including Disney Interactive and Vivendi Universal.
Associations & Memberships
- State Bar of Arizona: Business Law Section, LLC Legislative Subcommittee, 2010-Present
- State Bar of Arizona: Business Law Section, Executive Council Member, 2013-2019; Budget Officer, 2016
- Phoenix Arts and Culture Commission, Commission Member, 2014-2017
- Phoenix Symphony Young Professionals: President, 2013-2014; Board Member, 2011-Present
- Invest Southwest Capital Conference, Mentor Team Member, 2011, 2012
- Friends of European Art: Treasurer, 2013; Board Member, 2011-2015
- Men's Arts Council, Member, 2011-2015
- Academy of Magical Arts (The "Magic Castle"), Magician Member, 2001-Present
- Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences, Board Member, 2001-2002
Honors & Awards
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards - Legal Writing, Cyberlaw, and Pretrial Advocacy
Published Works Source
- Arizona’s New Limited Liability Company Act: Fiduciary Duties and Indemnification, Arizona Attorney, March 1, 2019
- Arizona Limited Liability Company, Forms and Practice Manual, Data Trace Publishing, November 28, 2018
- Adventures in Contract Negotiations: Common Pitfalls to Avoid, In Business Magazine, May 1, 2013
- “The New Arizona Limited Liability Company Act: Ramifications for Operating Agreements,” State Bar of Arizona, June 2020
- “Top 7 LLC Mistakes to Avoid in Everyday Business Practices,” National Business Institute, March 2020
- “Where the Rubber Hits the Road: The Practical Application of the New Arizona Limited Liability Company Act,” State Bar of Arizona, September 2019.
- “Revised Uniform Limited Liability Company Act,” National Business Institute, June 2019
- “The New Arizona LLC Act: Overview and Readiness,” State Bar of Arizona, May 2019
- “So, What’s After Shark Tank? 7 Common Business Law Issues,” Workuity Lunch and Learn, May 2019
- “Avoiding the 13 4/5th Deadly Sins of Boards and Officers,” Best Practices for Ministry, February 2018
- “Avoiding the 13 4/5th Deadly Sins of Nonprofit Boards,” Association of Corporate Counsel, January 2018
- “Ten Areas Where Action Today Will Pay Off in An Exit Event Tomorrow,” Lewis and Roca, October 2012