Mark C. Dangerfield
For more than 25 years, Mark has offered intelligent and persistent advocacy for his clients involved in complex litigation matters. In the process, he has helped clients ranging from the State of Arizona to the Arizona Cardinals achieve their objectives, even when doing so required trips to the court of appeals to confirm correct rulings by a trial court or reverse errant ones. Mark’s thorough analysis of evidence in complex cases often leads to key connections among facts that aid in the successful resolution of a matter. And clients appreciate that, despite Mark’s focused efforts to prevail, he maintains a steady, sunny demeanor, typically reflected in his ready smile.
Mark’s legal skills have also benefited from his other life experiences. After completing a degree in classical Greek language and literature from Brigham Young University, Mark spent several years working in the construction and real estate industries. He then went to law school, receiving his J.D. from the Harvard Law School in 1986. Clients often praise the quality of Mark’s written legal work, and he believes both his classical language training and his time at Harvard Law have enhanced that skill. Mark has since assisted clients in a variety of cases, including those involving real estate, legal and accounting malpractice, contract disputes, corporate governance, securities, and statutory issues.
Mark has also developed special expertise and experience in appellate advocacy. He has handled many appeals, not only before Arizona courts, but also in matters pending before the United States Courts of Appeal for the Fourth, Fifth, Eighth, Ninth, and Tenth Circuits.
Mark’s legal prowess was exemplified in his work as the principal lawyer defending the State of Arizona from lawsuits arising from the alternative fuel legislation enacted in 2000. That required Mark to defend against two major class actions and approximately a dozen other lawsuits stemming from that legislation. The State prevailed completely in every case, including four cases that required decisions by the Arizona Court of Appeals, two of which are reported at Moulton v. Napolitano, 205 Ariz. 506, 73 P.3d 637 (App. 2003) and Baker v. Ariz. Dep’t of Rev., 209 Ariz. 561, 105 P.3d 1180 (App. 2005). But Mark also represents individual clients. In Murphy Farrell Development v. Sourant, 229 Ariz. 124 (App. 2012), for example, Mark successfully defended an individual in an action seeking to acquire mining rights from his client, based on allegations that the client had improperly acquired them. After a trial, the court ruled in favor of Mark’s client on the issue, but denied the client’s request for an award of attorney’s fees. Later, the Arizona Court of Appeals not only agreed that Mark’s client properly acquired the mining rights, but found the trial court had erred in not awarding fees.
Associations & Memberships
- State Bar of Arizona, Member
- State Bar of Arizona, Appellate Practice Section, Member
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, 2011-2022
- Phi Kappa Phi, Brigham Young University, 1975
- Graduate with High Honors, Brigham Young University Honors Program, 1975
Community & Philanthropy
Member, Valley of the Sun United Way Tocqueville Society
Active member and leader in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, having previously served as a Bishop (lay pastor) of a congregation, and currently serving as one of two “counselors,” or assistants, to the Bishop of a local congregation.
- Best Lawyers in America® 2022 Recognizes 37 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys, August 19, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes 36 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys, August 21, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes 33 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys as Leaders in Their Field, August 15, 2019
- Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes 35 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys as Leaders in Their Field, August 15, 2018
- 35 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys Recognized as 2018 ‘Best Lawyers in America®’, August 16, 2017
- 33 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys Named 2017 ‘Best Lawyers in America®’, August 17, 2016
- Mark Dangerfield Accomplishes Life Goal on October 17, 2015, September 10, 2015
- G&K Attorneys Named to 2016 ‘The Best Lawyers in America®’ List, August 17, 2015
- G&K Attorneys Named to 2015 ‘The Best Lawyers in America®’ List, August 18, 2014
- 36 G&K Attorneys Named to 2014 Best Lawyers in America® List, August 15, 2013
- Attorney Mark C. Dangerfield Returns to the Firm as Shareholder in the Litigation Department, June 5, 2013
- Fertilizer Exemption Guidance Vacated in Win for Agriculture, September 23, 2016
- 65-year-old Lawyer Completed a Marathon in Every State and on Every Continent, January 29, 2016
- On Top of the World, January 1, 2016
- There are Plenty of Good Reasons to Run in Kansas City Marathon, October 15, 2015
- One State Left: Arizona Man Runs a Marathon in all 50 States, and on all 7 Continents, September 28, 2015
- Finishing the Test, September 20, 2015
- Valley Attorney Goes the Extra Mile, September 18, 2015
Mark is an avid runner who has run 75 marathons or ultra-marathons, including marathons on all of the seven continents of the world and in 50 different states. He and his wife of more than 40 years are the proud parents of six children and 15 grandchildren.