A forward-thinking adviser who anticipates how to best position his clients relative to regulatory changes, evolving market conditions and the competitive landscape, Josh’s proactive approach to problem solving adds real value for the clients he serves. With many years of experience in franchising and intellectual property law, Josh’s clients include companies of all sizes from myriad industries, established and fast-growth franchisors, technology development companies, service providers and distributors.
Notably, Josh acts as de facto General Counsel for many clients, advising on the full spectrum of legal issues impacting business today. Whether creating, growing, buying, or selling a business or protecting valuable IP assets, Josh draws upon his many years of proven skill in negotiating and closing franchising deals, mergers and acquisitions, entity formation, joint ventures and other commercial agreements of all kinds.
Josh delivers a deep bench of expertise to both franchisors and franchisees. Franchisor clients appreciate his efficiency and aptitude for developing, maintaining and revamping franchise programs; drafting franchise, license and development agreements; counseling new and established franchisors with regard to the franchise sales process; and assisting franchisors to comply with federal and state franchise and business opportunity laws. He advises on all aspects of the franchise relationship, including operational compliance, enforcing system standards, default, termination, renewal, workouts, transfers, remodeling/reimaging, debt restructuring, acquisition of franchised outlets, sale of company-operated outlets and sale of franchise systems.
Moreover, Josh advises on a broad range of agreements for franchisors, including asset purchases, licenses, assignments, and non-disclosure agreements, as well as promissory notes, fee deferral and/or abatement agreements, guarantees, termination and renewal agreements. Josh offers practical know-how regarding how franchise relationships are structured and operated, as well as evaluates and negotiates area development and franchise initiatives.
As an IP lawyer, Josh’s clients include software, graphic, digital media and other technology companies. For such clients, he negotiates and closes domestic and international license agreements, advises on corporate formation and business structuring, and assists with the day-to day legal issues these clients face.
Josh also provides legal counsel regarding trademark registration and maintenance, licensing, copyrights, trademarks and internet protections and procedures.
Associations & Memberships
- International Franchise Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Forum on Franchising, Member
- State Bar of Arizona, Member
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America®, Franchise Law, 2020-2022
- Southwest Super Lawyers® Rising Stars, Franchise and Dealership Law, 2013
- Arizona's Finest Lawyers, Sustaining Member, 2012-Present
Published Works Source
- Best Lawyers in America® 2022 Recognizes 37 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys, August 19, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes 36 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys, August 21, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes 33 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys as Leaders in Their Field, August 15, 2019
- G&K Adds Shareholder, Joshua S. Becker, to the Firm’s Business Law & Transactions Practice Group, January 21, 2015