Jay S. Volquardsen
- Criminal Law - Commercial and White Collar Offenses, Driving Under the Influence (DUI), Felony Offenses and Crimes Against Persons, Internal Investigations, Misdemeanor Offenses in Municipal and Justice Courts, Regulatory Enforcement, RICO and State Racketeering Offenses, Vehicular and Traffic Offenses, Victims’ Rights Advocacy
A lawyer since 2000, Jay has been focusing his practice on criminal and administrative law for the last 15 years. Jay has vast expertise in all felony and misdemeanor cases (from DUIs to allegations of sexual assault and everything in between) and has represented clients in nearly every courthouse in the State of Arizona. In his career, Jay has represented thousands of individuals (both juveniles and adults) and businesses. Additionally, many of Jay’s clients have been licensed professionals and, because of their experience with Jay, expressed a desire to have Jay help them through their professional licensing issues.
In response to his clients’ needs, Jay expanded his practice to include professional licensing representation and has either worked with investigators on or appeared before the Arizona Board of Medical Examiners, the Arizona Board of Osteopathic Examiners, the Arizona Board of Dental Examiners, the Arizona Board of Nursing, the Arizona Board of Occupational Therapy Examiners, the Arizona State Board of Massage Therapy, the Arizona Real Estate Board, and countless other professional licensing agencies.
Jay has also handled a number of felony and misdemeanor cases in the juvenile courts in Maricopa, Pinal, Yavapai, and Navajo Counties.
Whether in a courthouse or before a professional licensing board, Jay uses his hard-earned skills of negotiation and litigation to effectively represent all of his clients. A former prosecutor once said, when speaking about Jay, “I was always happy, but slightly disappointed, to see Jay representing a defendant on one of my cases. While he was a pleasure to work with, I knew that I was going to be subjected to polite, consistent pressure throughout the case.” Can you get a better compliment from an adversary?
Jay obtained a Bachelor of Science degree from Arizona State University in Project Management (1997). After working in the construction and engineering fields in Los Angeles, California, Jay returned to Arizona State University’s Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, clerked for the Arizona State Court of Appeals Staff Attorneys Office (Division One) and received his Juris Doctor in 2000.
Jay was honored in 2015 to receive the “10 Best Award Based on Client Satisfaction” from the American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys as well as the “Nation’s Top One Percent” from the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. Jay also been recognized by “Best Lawyers in America” every year since 2018, has a “perfect” 10 rating on Avvo, and 5/5 stars on Google.
Associations & Memberships
- Arizona Attorneys for Criminal Justice (AACJ), Member
- National College for DUI Defense (NCDD), Member
- Papago Men's Golf Club, Member
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America®, DUI/DWI Defense, 2019-2021
- Arizona Foothills Magazine, Best of Our Valley, Criminal Defense Attorneys, 2013
- "Top 100 DUI Attorneys for the State of Arizona," The National Advocacy for DUI Defense, LLC
- "10 Best Lawyers for 2015 Based on Client Satisfaction," American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
- AVVO “Superb” Lawyers
- Teetotaling Grandma Got a DUI, Arcadia News, April 1, 2016
- Arizona v. Bliemeister (In re Bliemeister), 296 F.3d 858 (9 th Cir. 2002)
- Smith v. Lachter (In re Smith), 293 B.R. 220 (9 th Cir. 2003)
- North v. Winterthur Assurances (In re North), 2003 Bankr. Lexis 829 (9 th Cir. B.A.P. 2003), reversing without opinion, North v. Winterthur Assurances (In re North), 279 B.R. 845 (Bankr. D. Ariz. 2002))
- In re Castro, 285 B.R. 703 (Bankr. D. Ariz. 2002)
- Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes 37 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys, August 21, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes 33 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys as Leaders in Their Field, August 15, 2019
- Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes 35 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys as Leaders in Their Field, August 15, 2018
- Two New Shareholders Added to the Criminal Law Group, June 19, 2015
Prior to embarking on his legal career, Jay worked as a project engineer on a Housing and Urban Development Project in downtown Los Angeles, California. Jay has lived in Chandler, Arizona since 1984 and in his spare time, enjoys playing basketball, golf and spending time with his friends and family.