David P. Kimball, III
- Administrative Law & Regulatory
- Environmental - Environmental Assessment, Environmental Counseling, Environmental Due Diligence, Environmental Litigation, Environmental Lobbying, Legislation & Advocacy, Environmental Natural Resources, Environmental Regulatory Enforcement, Environmental Regulatory Permitting, Environmental Remediation, Environmental Rulemaking, Pollution Prevention and Mitigation
- Natural Resources - Mined Land Reclamation, Mining, Natural Resources Lobbying, Legislation & Advocacy, Natural Resources Regulation & Compliance, Water Quality, Water Rights, Wildlife & Endangered Species
- Government Affairs - Environmental Lobbying/Legislation/Advocacy, Natural Resources Lobbying/Legislation/Advocacy, Regulatory Tactics
- Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) - Environmental, Social License & Community Relations
With more than 35 years of experience as a national adviser and consultant to state, county, local governments, some of the largest domestic companies, and as head of the firm’s Environmental and Natural Resources practice, Dave delivers comprehensive knowledge of and proven skill in all aspects of environmental and natural resources law. His practice is focused on environmental waste management regulation, public lands and mining law, surface and groundwater quality issues, and environmental remediation, including expertise in every facet of environmental permitting, compliance and enforcement.
Dave’s substantial background and honed experience in legislative development, lobbying and governmental rulemaking at the local, state and federal levels allows him to provide unique insight into and understanding of the current environmental and natural resources laws and regulations when dealing with governmental agencies on behalf of his clients. Dave actively leads a team of highly skilled firm attorneys in representing the firm’s government and private sector clients. Moreover, Dave serves as local, national and international counsel to a wide variety of manufacturing and industrial clients.
Clients and colleagues alike value Dave’s true depth of legal know-how, which allows him to be both efficient and cost effective on their behalf. In addition, the professional relationships Dave has established throughout his long career allows him access to and immediate trust and rapport with leaders at myriad regulatory agencies.
Having been involved in virtually every aspect of environmental law making, including direct involvement in the structuring, passage and interpretation of environmental and natural resources laws, Dave delivers the requisite insight into properly interpreting and applying the law in such a way that advances client objectives. Dave has earned a reputation as a true problem solver who designs options that are a win not only for clients, but also for regulators. He is dedicated to providing pragmatic solutions that are not only appropriate for his client, but also reasonable and applicable to agencies and their regulators.
For over three decades, Dave has been named among the “Best Lawyers in America.” He also has been recognized, for many years, as a Band 1 environmental practitioner in Chambers USA. An adjunct professor at Arizona State University for over 15 years, Dave taught graduate and undergraduate courses on the complexities and legal nuisances of federal and state solid and hazardous waste management and environmental remediation programs that are applicable and enforced throughout the country.
Associations & Memberships
- State Bar of Arizona, Environmental and Natural Resources Law Section, Founding Member
- Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Chairman of Environment Committee – 25 years
- Phoenix Chamber of Commerce, Agriculture, Environment and Water Committee, Member
- National Mining Association, Member
- Arizona Mining Association, Member
- Arizona Rock Products Association, Environmental Advisor
- Arizona Governor's Joint Study Committee on Regulatory Reform and Enforcement, Member
- Arizona Hazardous Waste Society, Founder
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America®, Environmental Law; Litigation - Environmental, 1989-2024
- Chambers USA®, 2004-2023
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, Environmental
- Arizona's Finest Lawyers
- "The International Who's Who of Environment Lawyers"
- "Best Lawyers in the Valley", Phoenix Magazine
- Marquis Who's Who, "Who's Who in American Law"
- Az Business Magazine, Arizona's Top Lawyers - Environmental Law
- Leader of the Year in Public Policy, Arizona Capitol Times
- Mr. Kimball actively publishes articles and papers concerning all aspects of environmental and natural resources law.
- Best Lawyers in America® 2024 Recognizes 52 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys, August 21, 2023
- Gallagher & Kennedy Awarded Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2023, June 1, 2023
- Best Lawyers in America® 2023 Recognizes 41 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys, August 18, 2022
- Gallagher & Kennedy Awarded Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2022, June 20, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America® 2022 Recognizes 37 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys, August 19, 2021
- Gallagher & Kennedy Awarded Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2021, May 20, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes 36 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys, August 21, 2020
- Gallagher & Kennedy Achieves Top Rankings in 2020 Chambers USA, May 15, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes 33 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys as Leaders in Their Field, August 15, 2019
- Gallagher & Kennedy Achieves Top Rankings in 2019 Chambers USA, April 29, 2019
- Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes 35 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys as Leaders in Their Field, August 15, 2018
- Gallagher & Kennedy Achieves Top Rankings in Chambers USA, May 17, 2018
- 35 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys Recognized as 2018 ‘Best Lawyers in America®’, August 16, 2017
- Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys and Practice Areas Recognized by Chambers USA, May 31, 2017
- 33 Gallagher & Kennedy Attorneys Named 2017 ‘Best Lawyers in America®’, August 17, 2016
- Gallagher & Kennedy Receives Top Rankings From Chambers USA, May 27, 2016
- G&K Attorneys Named to 2016 ‘The Best Lawyers in America®’ List, August 17, 2015
- G&K Attorneys Named to 2015 ‘The Best Lawyers in America®’ List, August 18, 2014
- Gallagher & Kennedy Achieves Top Rankings from Chambers USA 2014, May 30, 2014
- 36 G&K Attorneys Named to 2014 Best Lawyers in America® List, August 15, 2013
- Gallagher & Kennedy Secures Top Rankings From Chambers USA, June 1, 2013
- Nearly Two-Thirds of G&K’s Shareholders Named “Best Lawyers in America”, August 22, 2012
- G&K Secures Top Rankings from Chambers USA, June 7, 2012
- More Than Half of G&K’s Shareholders Named “The Best Lawyers in America”, August 31, 2011
- G&K Secures Top Rankings from Chambers USA, June 10, 2011
- Half of G&K’s Shareholders Named “The Best Lawyers in America”, August 4, 2010
- Twenty-Eight G&K Attorneys Named “Best Lawyers in America”, August 3, 2009
- David Kimball Featured in AZ Business Magazine’s 2023 Mining Section, “Moving Mining Into The Future”, January 18, 2023
- How Arizona’s mining industry will fuel the economy in 2022, January 26, 2022
- Just the Facts: David Kimball Shares Details you Need to Know About Arizona’s Mining Industry, January 20, 2021
- Here is Why the Arizona Mining Industry is Flourishing, January 23, 2020
- Gallagher & Kennedy Achieves Top Rankings by Chambers & Partners, May 1, 2019
- What Could Scrapping Mineral Withdrawals Mean for Arizona?, September 20, 2018
- Reversal of Fortune, September 15, 2018
- New Mexico Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Gallagher & Kennedy Client Freeport-McMoRan in “Copper Rule” Case, March 9, 2018
- Arizona Mining Evolves and Grows by Practicing Environmental Integrity, September 25, 2017
- Mining in Arizona Remains an Economic Goldmine, September 18, 2017
David actively participates in the development of environmental and natural resources legislation and rulemaking at the local, state and federal levels and lectures locally and nationally on all aspects of environmental law before professional and trade organizations.